Friday, October 31, 2008

Seriously?

Yesterday I was more than ready for the election to be over and I admit I was feeling a bit apathetic about the whole thing. But today I am so completely angry about the world around me that I couldn't care more about it all. Yesterday evening there was a huge mass assembled protesting Yes on Prop 8. Seriously? How can anyone still have that kind of hate in them toward a group of people? How can you honestly still believe that a group of people, any group of people, should be discriminated against in 2008? I heard comments today about how Prop 8 is "protecting marriage". That's just such crap. What about protecting civil rights? Isn't that a concern to anyone? I also got some comments directed at me about how annoying it is when the Hispanic kids come trick or treating at your door and how they get dropped off by the bus fulls. Wow. The narrow minded hateful things that are still spoken and believed by these people is unbelievable and such a complete culture shock for me. Would it be acceptable if I, a Hispanic woman, said to them that it bothered me when white children came trick or treating in my neighborhood? Another comment I heard was that if Obama were to get elected we're screwed. Seriously? Seriously?! I am in such complete shock and I just needed to vent about these awful things to people who understand these very real concerns.

No comments: